What do you think will be the big thing in sustainability for 2020?

As we near the new year and, of course, the new decade, I am wondering what you think will be the next big thing in sustainability/zero waste?

We continue to find out more and more ways we are hurting our planet. In response, we are now discovering and encouraging new trends towards less packaging, innovative solutions for zero waste, minimalistic living and more.

What do you think or hope is next for the 2020s?

6 Likes

Hello Britta!
Well I guess people should get things done be more responsible and really act towards a better planet! There are already a lot of things we can do individually and collectively to act to get things move! The organization Zéro Waste can help us in talking to our politicians organising conference on zero waste and so on… People should also see what waste really is because many don’t see simply the huge amount that is wasted for nothing. And according to the Ted talk video there is a lot wasted before at the production level because people are simply used to eat perfect products and that is not fair for the producer that work hard to make a little money… So I guess people should also get involve in creating businesses to collect food from producers and sell it to special shops where it will be cheaper to buy and that will be extremely good to do that because it will get into competition with the power of supermarkets that clearly are doing little on this issue.
In France we have les Restos du cœur which give out food for the poor…

6 Likes

Hey all. I guess for me it would be a trend toward simpler societies. Convenience has taught us to expect things that are not necessary. I would support a future towards less packaging and more importantly less production. If I were to hope for anything it is a solution for mass production and goods transport.

11 Likes

Hello
I will add something…
I hope for 2020 that people will more gather and act for ecology. People should feel free to think and create new businesses around ecology and think more collectively.

PS I received my first worm compost box! In my city you can ask and you get one for free for your family or your building. That is cool! I can’t wait to get started!

3 Likes

A compost worm box for free?? Is this only in Paris or is this everywhere in France? I am so intrigued by that!

1 Like

In Paris city you can also get them for free but you have to register on a list once a year. Next time it will be end of May. I think it is possible to get free worm boxes in many big cities in France but few communication is made about it. You have to inform yourself for that… That is why still few people have one…
This is an opportunity to communicate about it.
:blush:

2 Likes

Keywords for 2020:
Accountability
Scalability
Privacy
3 Likes

Electric powered transport? Like the smart cars combined with self-driving. Also boats and other means of transport?

May not the next big thing, but I think it will start to take over!

5 Likes

Ah yes of course. Great catch. Forgot that one.
Smarter dumb things and dumber smart things :smiley:

1 Like

I think a new trend will be to not buy things you dont need. To really think about your consumption and to shop second hand if you really need something new. Consuming unnecessary things is one of the biggest problems when it comes to saving our planet. Sustainability and Zero Waste will probabky become more popular lifestyles. And Karma is a great way to get people to think about WHAT and WHEN to buy something. And to reduce our waste, which is the goal. People will start to not buy things just for the buying of the things.

5 Likes

Yes, I agree! Can you imagine what transport will look like at the end of 2020? Much greener AND safer I hope :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

@Anjaaa, I sure hope so!! If we actually start lowering our consumption, we may actually have the chance to lower the demand and decrease overproduction!!

I would love for it to become a popular lifestyle of the 2020s :green_heart: I can see second hand stores becoming almost as popular as some of the big brand stores! I know I love bragging about my treasure second hand find :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

These past months I have seen more and more recycling stations and also recycling in my school. Plastic waste among plastic. Paper for paper, and etc. But if I look for the entire decade is unsure. My hopes are that way with recycling also mankind cleaning up the crap that’s been thrown into the oceans and nature.

I believe that’s the major thing for the year 2020. Recycling. I think more people are getting awared of the problems, what they can do and what needs to be done.

3 Likes

Yeah electric bikes too! And cars with solar panels!

4 Likes

I hope that karma can expand this year, to new countries, that it can spread it’s seeds, welcome a lot of new members, new ambassadors and more pounds of food saved from waste :pray:t2::blush:

3 Likes

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned but the current state of farming is proving more and more detrimental and inefficient with huge monoculture farms scathing the land. This is why I think regenerative agriculture, holistic management and smaller scale localised farming will have to be the next big thing. People such as Alan Savory, Joel Salatin, Geoff Lawton and Richard Perkins are on the forefront of this shift and it’s a very necessary shift to be made. Increased stock density in smaller spaces, rotated appropriately (daily or more) is the only way to sufficiently run stock without causing hard hoofed erosion.

3 Likes

That one is very simple : Going Vegan. And everything else will follow. It is the absolute missing puzzle of a sustainable, clean and ethical planet. For the Animals, People and Environment.

3 Likes

Accountability about sustainability (less and less free washing, oatly paving the way for this).
In general we need trust and being able to connect to each other.
I watched the Super bowl ads from last week and I was impressed at the 2 biggest themes that were to accept the change and innovation (for all electric car ads) and building back a sense of trust and community amidst the political noise

4 Likes

I think we gonna hear more about Nitrogen fueled cars:)