Mushy Bananas? Turn them into Cake 🍌πŸ₯³

Hey guys!

I made a delicious banana bread over the weekend with Nanas which look pretty brown and bruised. It took no time at all + result was delicious.

350g ripe / mushy bananas (peeled weight)
180g plain flour, plus extra for the tin
2Β½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
160g soft, light brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
4 tbsp melted butter, plus extra to grease, slightly cooled
50g walnuts, roughly chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 170C. Put bananas in a food blender + blend until a puree
    1. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl, and grease and lightly flour a baking tin about 21x9x7cm.
  2. Put the sugar, eggs and melted butter in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to whisk them until pale and slightly increased in volume. Fold in the bananas and the dry ingredients until you can see no more flour, then fold in the walnuts.
  3. Spoon into the tin and bake for about an hour until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out on to a rack to cool completely.

Enjoy with plain, toasted with butter or a dollop of yoghurt

13 Likes

Oh my goodness, I MUST try this!! Thanks for sharing @alys.marr :heart_eyes:

Hey great!
It s also possible to do a banana slices on 2, baked and with melted chocolate inside and with whipped cream and ice cream vanilla or other flavor :icecream::yum:

1 Like

Hey! Sorry I am asking you all the questions :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but what do you mean by banana slices on 2? If there is melted chocolate, I will ALWAYS be a fan!

I normally do banana bread (kind of like cake I guess) with walnuts and chocolate chips inside the batter! Maybe not as good for you, but sooo tasty :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart:

1 Like

Hey hehe
I meant by that that you slice a little bit the banana on the length and put the chocolate insiiiiide :yum::banana::chocolate_bar:
But I’m not a banana split expert… I haven’t tried that yet.

1 Like

Ahhh I see! Haha thanks :heartpulse: I love having fruit chunks in my dessert so I will have to do this! Whenever I make pancakes, I always slice banana on top of the batter and grill the banana on one side :yum:

I love banana splits, but banana boats are so much better!! You can do it over a fire or in your oven. But you slice a banana down the middle while keeping it in the peel. Then you fill the slice (you can take a bit of banana meat out) with chocolate, peanut butter, nutella, or anything you want! Last you wrap it in tin foil and cook it for around 5 minutes until the banana is softer and the chocolate is melted :upside_down_face:

YUMMM! You should try it

Ahahhaa! Thanks that looks very yummy lol
But I will avoid Nutella as I guess there is one third of sugar lol but raw chocolate can be nice too with a bit of milk etc. :wink::chocolate_bar:
Have a nice desert :yum:

2 Likes

Can you make a cake with bananas and cake mix?

Am definitely looking forward in trying!:yum:

1 Like

One way I use my ripe bananas is…

BANANA PANCAKES! :yum::banana::pancakes:

• 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled off
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon saltπŸ§‚
  • 1 over-ripe banana, peeled (the browner, the better):banana::banana::banana:
  • 2 large eggs​:egg::egg::egg:
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons low fat milk​:cow2::milk_glass::milk_glass:
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted​:butter::butter::butter:

Steps:
-Begin by combining the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl.

-Whisk well and set aside.

-In a medium bowl, mash the banana until almost smooth.

-Add eggs and whisk with a fork to combine.

-Mix in the milk and vanilla extract.

-Pour the banana mixture and melted butter into the dry ingredients.

-Give it a soft mix (It will be thick and lumpy.)

-Heat a little bit of vegetable oil with a pad of butter on a griddle or in a non-stick pan (the butter gives flavor and the vegetable oil prevents the butter from burning). Spoon the pancakes onto the griddle and cook until some bubbles appear on the top and the underside is golden brown and crisp flip and repeat until fully golden on both sides.

Top pancakes with banana and light syrup :yum::ok_hand::heart_eyes::pancakes::banana: Hope Everyone enjoys!

1 Like

Hmmm I am not too sure, but I would imagine so @jadexter0319 :thinking: You can check out this recipe that I found of someone who said it turns out great :slightly_smiling_face:

Love banana pancakes @zyzzfuentes19!! I also will slice some banana on top of the batter just when I put it on the griddle and then when I flip it, it grills the banana just a bit :heart_eyes:

Thanks so much for sharing!!!

1 Like

Wow thanks for the tip definitely will try it :pancakes::banana::yum:

1 Like