Food for the Day: Potato🥔

The humble potato. Who doesn’t love at least one recipe that uses potatoes? I was having french fries with my boyfriend the other night and as much as I love chocolate, it might be easier to give that up than a nice salty french fry :joy:

There are hardly any new ways that I can give you for creative potato recipes, but I will try to share a few new with a few tried and true ideas.

Wondering how to best store them? I can share some tips there too!

• I may sound like a dry record, BUT * insert freezer praise here * Your freezer is almost ALWAYS your friend and this is no different with potatoes. The trick? Cook them before you freeze them! Parboil, mash or hash and throw them in the freezer for later. We have all been there when we buy a huge bag of potatoes at the store :potato: :potato: :potato:
  • Save the washing for later! If you don’t plan on using a potato now, leave it unwashed. This will help it store for longer
  • Kitchen cupboards are the best places to store them: think cool, dark and dry!
  • Get cooking! My favourites? French fries, au gratin, garlic and butter mash, hasselback, hashbrowns, or diced in a breakfast skillet!
  • Try potato in bread, make a savoury potato pancake or waffle, homemade gnocchi, or croquettes.

What are your favourites??

8 Likes

I personally love twice baked potato skins- stuffed :star_struck: But don’t worry, the potato I take out is used for either potato patties or mash :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I like mach potatoes adding only a bit of water or olive oil and salt.
Or I like to make a gratin with slices of potatoes, and pumpkin baked in the oven. :wink:

2 Likes

Potato with pumpkin? Yum!! That sounds really good! But what type of pumpkin do you use?

I use the red dark orange pumpkin. The small ones. veloute-de-potimarron

2 Likes

My favourite is roasted sweet potatoes, seasoned with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika , yum!

3 Likes

If my potatoes start sprouting, I will just cut those little parts off, compost them, chop the potatoes into cubes and fry them up for a breakfast dish. Sometimes they are good to use as hash browns too.

2 Likes

I’ve also made potato chips in the microwave. Obviously it is a bit better to make it in the oven but when in a hurry you can cut them into super thin slices, dry the slices with a paper towel and add some seasonings. And then microwave until crispy! :smiley:

3 Likes

What?! I didn’t even know this was possible!! Do they really turn out crispy or are they still somewhat chewy?

They do get quite crispy as long as you make sure to cut them really thin :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Before I cook potatoes, I blitz them in the microwave for a couple of minutes (after chopping or poking them with a fork so they don’t explode) and they cook so much faster!

Same thing with onions too! I’m just not a very patient person :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I am the potato queen lol as along as we have potatoes we have a meal lol jacket potatoes, mash potato salad, chips wedges fried curly fries, potato skins stuffed with bacon cheese and beans :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: potatoes are amazing xx

3 Likes

Haha potato queen, I love it! :laughing: :potato: :crown: Potatoes are indeed amazing.

What are jacket potatoes? :thinking: Not sure if I have ever heard of those before but now I am super curious!

Jacket potato is what english people call baked potatoes lol so oven cooked with the skin on :heartpulse: they are the yummyist xx

1 Like

Ohhh so the potato skin is like a jacket for the potato? I am originally from the States, but I don’t think I have ever heard that before! It’s fun though :yum: I will have to test it on my fam and see if they know!

I never thought of it like that lol it’s just what we’ve always called them :joy: but I guess that’s the reason yeah xx

1 Like

That freezer hack is amazing, thanks!!

1 Like

Pass me some recipes please I would love to try new meals :blush: