Food for the Day: Honey 🍯

Hey all!!

In the midst of these uncertain times, I wanted to make sure I kept up to date with my food for the day :slightly_smiling_face:

Tonight I will share with you an amazing food created by an amazing creature: honey.

As I am sure many of you know, one of the best things about honey is that if it is stored properly, raw honey does not go bad :heart_eyes: The Zero Food Waste Generation dream!!! If only all food could be like that :laughing:

So, while there is no reason you should throw honey away, here as some creative uses and storage tips.

• Make sure that honey is properly sealed between every use and stored in a cool, dry place. You don’t have to store it in the fridge, but you want to avoid heat. It is also important to avoid water. As soon as you add water to honey, the eternal nature begins to break down.

• If you find that your honey has started to crystallize, gently heat the bottle up in warm water. Don’t try putting the bottle in the microwave :grimacing:

• Now, honey is super versatile and is often used as a natural substitute for sugar. But I wanted to share some creative ideas and hear some of your ideas as well.

• Add it to your curry for some subtle flavour boosting
    • Make a glaze for meats, desserts or veggies (honey glazed carrots anyone??) or added to a dressing for salads
    • Not a new idea, but homemade granola bars are nothing without honey glue
    • Fancy trying to bake some Greek desserts? Baklava = honey heaven
    • Honey coleslaw for those creative and adventurous minds
    • Add it to homemade peanut butter (my personal favourite)
    • Utilise the whole honeycomb if you have it by making a compote.
    • Honey butter. Enough said.
    • Spice up your soup or baked beans
    • Last but not least, anyone in the mood for mead? Honey wine = count me in!

Okay, I hope this got your creative juices flowing and let us know what other ways you use honey!

Stay healthy everyone :green_heart:

1 Like